Eng-Tech
Eng-Tech, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Years of Repair Experience, Bachelor's Electrical Engineering Technology, MBA
95589641

My refrigerator stopped cooling even though the freezer part

Hello, my refrigerator stopped cooling even though the freezer part is working (side by side type). It happened shortly I was cleaning it and the lower light broke, works after we changed it. what can be the problem?
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: GE model #GSH25JFTF. I also have a serial number, if necessary.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: nothing

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping your refrigerator. Please give me a moment to review your model.

Can you check in the freezer and look behind the food on the white wall and tell me if there is frost build up there?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No, there is no frost of any kind in the refrigerator.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The freezer is still working just fine. Everything stays Frozen, and there is no frost build up.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The wall between the freezer and the refrigerator is quite cold in the refrigerator. But the air is not that cold, and the food is barely cool. Up until yesterday, both refrigerator and freezer were working just fine.

Ok. Can you tell me if the fan is running in the freezer? Sometimes you need to press the freezer door switch to hear it when the door is open.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The only answer that I can give you is that when I press the freezer door switch, the refrigerator continues to make the same noise that it does when the door is open, i.e. there is no change in noise by pressing the freezer door switch. However, with the door open or shut, there is a fan like noise coming from the top and back of the freezer, where there appears to be something like a vent.

Ok, there is a vent that passes cold air from the freezer to the refrigerator that is in the top left side of the refrigerator. That vent is likely clogged with ice or is broken. It is what regulates the air flow to the refrigerator. In this model, all of the cold air to the refrigerator comes from the freezer. If the vent is clogged with ice, get a hair dryer on a low heat setting and gently try to clear it up. If that does not work, the vent very likely needs to be replaced. Here is a link to the part.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/WR13X10988/0046/363.html?pathTaken=partSearch&q=WR13X10988

Is there anything else I can answer for you?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
thank you. The vent is not clogged with ice at all. Two questions, or possibly 3. When I open the freezer door, it seems to me that I hear a fan running. This noise seems to come from the top of the inside of the freezer, from a spot that seems to correlate to the vent in the top of the refrigerator. This noise does not turn off when I open the refrigerator door. If indeed this is a fan, is it suppose to be blowing cold air into the refrigerator through that vent, and if so, since I hear the fan going, why might be the problem that this is no cold air coming into the refrigerator? Or, is this a fan that circulates cold air only in the freezer, and has nothing to do with the refrigerator? I guess I am asking, are there two fans in the unit, or just one? Last questions. When my wife cleaned the refrigerator, and this is when the problem started, some water hit the lower light bulb in the refrigerator, and the light bulb blew rather spectacularly, i.e. hole in the glass of the bulb, etc. Sometimes in our apartment, when a light bulb blows up like this, the circuit breaker blows. Is there a circuit breaker type switch in the refrigerator that blew when the light bulb blew? Or, is there simply a switch for the fan that is suppose to blow cold air into the refrigerator that we accidentally turned off, and simply needs to be turned back on?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Steve, can I get answers to the questions that I wrote about over 3 hours ago, please? Thank you.

The air flow in your refrigerator is a closed loop. It goes into the refrigerator from that top damper, flows over the food, and returns to the freezer in a return port at the bottom left side of the refrigerator. When you open the door, the closed loop is open and there is nothing pulling the air from the top vent. You should feel some air though. You may have clogged defrost coils, but at the early stage where the frost has not reached the back wall. You may need to take the inside back wall of the freezer to inspect the coils. If they are blocked, you will need to replace the heater (if bad), the defrost bimetal thermostat, and the thermistor. You may first want to make sure that the return port at the bottom left of the refrigerator is clear all the way from the refrigerator to the freezer. Is there anything else I can answer?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your answers. There is one more question. I accidentally signed up for a membership that I need to cancel. How do I cancel my member ship. Thanks.

One moment while I get the customer service chat link for you. Experts aren't allowed to handle customer service issues.

Here is the customer service chat link.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Would you mind rating my service to you? Just Answer will only compensate me for my time if you rate me. A rating of 4 stars or more at the TOP RIGHT of your screen will allow free follow up questions for this appliance through this link. (TIPS) are appreciated! Thank you.