Appliance Tech Care
Appliance Tech Care, Appliance Technician
Experience:  35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs
20893398

One of the gas burners on the VDSC36 will not turn off. The

Customer Question

One of the gas burners on the VDSC36 will not turn off. The dial just rotates around and around and the flame level does not adjust.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: just a few minutes. As a note, on this burner, the igniter will often cycle for 20-45 seconds before finally turning off. Also, the burner is on medium to high right now.
JA: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: no. Does tuning off the electricity cause the gas flow to shut off?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Given that it is Saturday afternoon, I will probably have to. I just need to get the burner turned off, but would like to be able to use the other burners this weekend
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Care replied 7 days ago.

Hello and thanks for using JA

Pull off the knob and swap it for one of the burners that work. Hopefully, it is just a broken knob. If that does not solve the problem, then you may try to gently turn the shaft under the knob to see if it will turn, You may have to push it slightly while turning it to the right. If the knob just spins around without a stopping point, that would indicate that something is broken and you will have to get a qualified technician out to fix it. Try these two suggestions and tell what you find.

Don

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The shaft just spins. It is not a broken knob.

Ok , as I stated before, if the shaft just spins around, then something is broken inside the gas valve and it will have to be replaced. I would suggest that you get a tech out to do the repair as you will need to take the control panel off to access the tubing and other parts to remove the valve.

You will have to turn off the gas at the supply if you can not manipulate the valve to close off the flame to the burner.

Did you have any other questions?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Your answers did not help to solve the problem. I did figure it out, and will be cancelling my membership.