Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Dual electric oven. Tried to do a self clean on the top

Customer Question

dual electric oven. Tried to do a self clean on the top oven, set it for 3 hrs and and it locked but didnt clean. now stuck locked. F92 error showing after tuyrning off the power for awhile but still not released. have tried doing a self clean again, but it acts like it will for 10 seconds then clears but stays locked
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 6 days ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

The F92 means the time allowed to open the door has been exceeded. So either the door latch motor ior switch is burned out or something is wrong with the control not sending power to the door lock.

If the oven door is locked and will not open and the oven is cold try the following things to get the door to open. Note the oven needs to be cold or the thermostat will not open it after a self clean cycle right away.

First try to start a new self clean for about 30 secs and cancel it, often that will trigger the door latch to restart and reopen. If that does not open the door you can cut power to the unit for a full minute and power it back up and see if the door will open. If that does not work on some units you can remove the back and the latch motor is there with a lock rod going to a small hook iby the door. Those style units you can remove the rod and move it manually to open the door. If you do not have that style unit you need to get something flexible like a stiff piece of plastic or metal and slide it in between the door and frame and slide it sideways to hit the latch hook and press it to the left or right and open the door that way manually. Most latch hooks you will slide the piece from right to left pressing the latch hook left to release it...90% are like that, the others are the opposite way depending on make and model.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated....HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
this is a GE Profile model P S978S T1SS. does it have a rod at the back?

YES IT DOES SO YOU CAN GET TO IT FROM THE BACK!

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
but the F92 error code means that something is wrong with the lock?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
by opening the door from the back wont fix the issue.?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.

That will at least correct it so it will work in regular mode, just not self clean...you would need to replace the door lock or check the switches on the lock and see if something is stuck or burned.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
to get to the rod at the back do i have to take the back off?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
will sliding the lock over from the front work on this model?

You have to remove the back panel on the oven then you can disconnect the rod and pull/push it to release the lock that is the easiest thing to do honestly.

SEE HERE CLICK