Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Product no. GNE29GGKWW 28.5cu ft. French door refrigerator,

Customer Question

Good Morning !!
JA: Hi. What do you want help with?
Customer: Product no. GNE29GGKWW 28.5cu ft. French door refrigerator, if I used a heavy gauge extension cord and plug in on a dedicated line (same line where I have the old refrigerator). Can you just tell me what kind of extension cord or what gauge I can use?
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: GE French door
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: most likely
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: that is all that I need to know...I just want to get a bigger refrigerator BUT..I will locate it on a different part of the house using the same dedicated line, that is why I am concerned with extension cord.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

So refrigerators in general are not supposed to plug into extension cords and then to the wall outlet so it's not something I would recommend doing but if you wanted to do this you just need a regular heavy duty extension cord that is rated for 20 amps to make sure you don't have a problem. The refrigerator will never draw more than 15 amps as long as nothing fails so you can get away with a 15 amp cord if needed, but just to make sure the cord isn't your weak point if something happens to the refrigerator I'd get a 20 amp cord.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?