Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE refrigerator / freezer and the front LED panel

I have a GE refrigerator / freezer and the front LED panel is showing 88 for the freezer setting and 88 for the refrigerator setting. The top 2 LED's are flashing on the refrigerator side. All is well inside but I can reset the front panel. Whats wrong with it? Model #PFSS6PKWASS

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

the 88 88 means there is an error. You can try to reset it by pressing and holding the top left and right buttons on the dispenser for 5 seconds, but if that doesn't reset, you need the error code. If you look at the 88 88 there is a segment missing or flashing---which segment is that?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The top leds on the right side 88

That's a faulty icemaker error, so the icemaker would need to be replaced if it won't reset.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did the reset. Now just the left 8 top diode on the fridg side is blinking
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you cant control anything as long as the ice maker is out?

That's a different error. If the left 8 top segement on the refrigerator is out, that's a bad damper assembly. The icemaker issue reset but the damper did not. An no you can't control anything if there is ANY error regardless of whether it's an icemaker or a bad control board or bad sensor. You would need to order and replace part 118 on the diagram in the link below.

CLICK HERE for diagram

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We have a plumbing issue where the cold water source has been turned off for a few days. Is that whats causing the ice alarm?

It's possible that can cause the issue yes. But if you re-apply power and if it still won't work you need to replace the icemaker. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.