John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

We have a sub zero over 22 years old, suddenly stop cooling

Customer Question

hi we have a sub zero over 22 years old, suddenly stop cooling the top portion of the frig
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sub-Zero is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: sub zero 511
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I had vacuum the condensor and looked at the motor and continue to operate as well as the thermostate. Freezer continues to be cold. possible needs to have refrigerent recharge ??
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: that's it
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 13 days ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Is the fan working in the refrigerator?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
it appears to be

OK then there is a good chance the unit is either low on freon or the compressor is not running. Can you remove the back panel to check the evaporator or see if the compressor is running for the refrigerator?