Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Kenmore elite side by side is not cooling properly. i

Customer Question

kenmore elite side by side is not cooling properly. i noticed that in the freezer there was ice bulid up on the air in take
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: not sure what to do
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: did not know if there was something i could go
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: i feel like somethng is frozen
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 15 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 15 days ago.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section and seen if you just open the refrigerator door.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
795,5107 maybe maybe 2104
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 15 days ago.

OK so this sounds like you h ave a defrost issue which stops the air from circulation to the refrigerator from the freezer section. You'll need to pull everything out of the freezer and remove the screws going into the lower back panel. Remove the lower back panel and you'll see silver evaporator coils packed with frost. There is a defrost heater that runs along the bottom of the silver coils and a a defrost sensor clipped near the top of the silver coils. Below is a picture of the sensor so you know what I'm talking about.

CLICK HERE for sensor

CLICK HERE to see heater

You'll need a multimeter to test continuity through the parts and if either part does not have continuity, it needs to be replaced. Other than that, you can thaw all the ice/frost build up out using a hair dryer and that will get the unit functioning properly again but it will likely not last for much longer than 3 days to a week or so if you don't replace the faulty part.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 12 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?