John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My GE Profile P T 920S P2SS does not or has it ever held a

Customer Question

My GE Profile P T 920S P2SS does not or has it ever held a consistent oven temperature. Set it for 350, temp drops to like 280 after reaching desired setting. Is this an inherent issue with GE Profile ovens and/or can the problem be fixed? Spent top dollar for what I believed should have been a reliable appliance.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 15 days ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 15 days ago.

How old is the appliance? Is this a new problem?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
3 to 4 years, been doing this almost since i bought it
Expert:  Kelly replied 15 days ago.

Does it seem to get better the longer the oven is on?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Yeah, but not always. Set temp setting for higher temp, gets to desired temp, and still drops back sometimes. That is what happened yesterday
Expert:  Kelly replied 15 days ago.

Allow me just a few minutes to explain how that sensor works, it will help so we can work toward a solution.

Expert:  Kelly replied 15 days ago.

The oven sensor circuit is a resistance circuit. The sensor is just a big resistor that changes electrical resistance with temperature. As the temperature rises, so does the resistance. So, if the control gets a higher resistance, it interprets that to be a higher temperature and react accordingly. So, anything that affects the resistance in that circuit is suspect, including connections, wiring harnesses, etc. A pinched wire, a very bent or coiled wire, poor connection at the sensor or the control, etc can all cause issues with that circuit which will affect the temperature. So, we first need to determine if the issue is sensor related or related to a connection issue. Do you have a meter to perform any electrical testing with?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
no, but I just found sensors in lower part of oven, and one is very corroded. Sounds like that might be a first step, replacing the sensors.
Expert:  Kelly replied 15 days ago.

I would agree, nice find! Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 15 days ago.

The oven sensor is number 253 in the diagram at the link below. Is this what you are seeing?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
no, there are 2, one on left and one on right, located just below lower rack. But my oven is just an oven, we have an induction cooktop, so maybe sensors are in a different place than as illustrated.
Expert:  Kelly replied 15 days ago.

Look in upper left corner, I don't think what you are seeing is the oven sensor. It should look like the picture below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Not seeing it, but there is an male threaded nipple coming out of oven ceiling towards front of oven which I seem to recall had, at one time, a probe attached to it similar to the picture you sent. Don't know what could have happened to it.
Expert:  Kelly replied 15 days ago.

Can you take a picture of your oven interior?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
sure. do you have a cell phone number?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
my camera just quit working, powering off my phone to re-boot
Expert:  Kelly replied 15 days ago.

Okay, you can upload to the site or www.tinypic.com and send download link.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Took pictures, but my wife took charger to work, so can't upload pictures, have to do it later I guess
Expert:  Kelly replied 15 days ago.

Okay, keep me posted.