Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

Fridge door partially open for several hours. Now the unit

Customer Question

Fridge door partially open for several hours. Now the unit is not running. Lights are operating but interior temp display is dark. Compressor is very warm to the touch.
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: GE monogram, age unknown but at least 5 years, maybe more. Where can we find model number?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Only if it is a simple fix
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

Ok so leaving the door open on the unit caused several issues, one it overheated the compressor so the compressor most likely shut off in overload. Secondly all the moisture from the outside air has been circulated in the unit and has probably caused the evaporator in the freezer to freeze up. So what needs to be done is the unit needs to be unplugged, open the freezer door and put a fan so that it blows into the freezer for about 2 hours. This will do several things, it will defrost the unit and also allow the compressor to cool. After about 2 hours you can plug it back up and it should go back to working normally.

I kindly ask at this time that you go ahead and click on the 5th star of the star rating system at the top of your page. Afterwards If you have any follow up questions they will be free and I will continue to help until you are completely satisfied. It's very much appreciated, Thank You!

Hi there,
I see the question is still open and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with?