Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

My top loading Maytag is making a loud grinding noise during

Customer Question

My top loading Maytag is making a loud grinding noise during the wash cycle. It is fine during the spin cycle, no noise. It just started yesterday when I started a wash and the machine has been in the same place for years.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model # lat5000aaw, an yes it is 23 years old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No, I have a friend who can fix it for me.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, It just started yesterday when I went to wash hadn't happened the night before.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When will I get an answer as to what is wrong with my washing machine?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. More than likely there is something lodged under the agitator. How many loads have you done with the unit since the noise started? Did it do it each time?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have only washed the one time when I heard the noise and then did spin to get all the water out. The noise doesn't happen when it is spinning only when the agitator is washing.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 5 months ago.

So it is more than likely either something is lodged in the agitator or underneath and possibly it worked itself out during the spin but in order to determine this we would need to run another load to see if the noise comes back.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I bought a new Maytag today, so thanks but I think I will move on.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 5 months ago.

oh ok well congrats on your new purchase. I do hope you found my assistance helpful and would be willing to rate with 5 stars at the top. Thank you for choosing just answer and in the event you need anything ever again we are always here.