Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Open a locked lower oven door, Whirlpool gold, Yes if

Customer Question

Open a locked lower oven door
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Whirlpool gold
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes if possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The turkey is in the oven and smoking
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 days ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 days ago.

I apologize for the delay. The locked door is due to excessively high temperature. The only way to unlock it is to let it cool, or on some models, you can slide a coat hanger hook in between the door and oven, just right of center, to grab the latch and drag it sideways left to release. When the door is shut, it will remain locked until cool. The issue that caused that is more than likely control related, like a relay that has become welded closed. Once it cools (turn breaker off), you will be able to open the door (power will have to be turned back on momentarily for the motor to energize) for access to the model tag.