Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My. GE Profile PVM 1870DM388 microwave....keeps

Customer Question

My. GE Profile PVM 1870DM388 microwave....keeps running....meaning upper vent mechanism opens and closes continually and is running when the. Control panel is in off. Position....sounds like it is cooking but nothing gets warm. Was just fine 5 minutes ago....Had stuff boiling on stove...wondering if. Steam from that caused a problem....cut the be
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: that was. The that was the model I listed. In explanation....is. Mfg
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: anufactured in 2010...serial # isFT 913188B
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not sure...need to kW what the. Problem is first...turned the breaker panel off to give it a break...wonder if steam from stove below was the. Problem...
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 days ago.

The only thing that would affect both the vent above the door and the fan turning on would be the display control board itself. At this point just unplug the microwave or flip the breaker off to the microwave and you won't be able to use it for 24 hours. Allow the unit to dry out for 24 hours. Once it's all dried out, then you can try to plug the unit back in and re-apply power. If it still acts up, then the steam shorted out the display board which is like the mother board for this microwave so the display board will need to be ordered and replaced to resolve the issue.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.