Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

The freezer is not freezing .can not turn it down to zero

Customer Question

the freezer is not freezing .can not turn it down to zero and the black metal between the two doors is extremely hot
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eng-Tech replied 16 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your Kitchenaid refrigerator. Please give me the model number on the wall inside the refrigerator section.

Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 16 days ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

The issue you have is common the condenser fan is not running or blocked. Check the condenser for blockage and the fan, that is the one back by the compressor. That is the cause of the door frame being hot. You can put a fan blowing on the compressor and condenser temporarily to cool it until you can get a part.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated....HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Expert:  Eng-Tech replied 16 days ago.

Ok, here is the likelihood of what is happening. You almost certainly have a condenser fan (the fan in the back underneath) that is not turning. For many of the Kitchenaid refrigerators, the fan is not the central issue, but rather the main control in the back. The main control is responsible for intermittently or completely causing the condenser fan to fail. Depending on your model, you most likely have a bad main control, but in some cases it is only the condenser fan that is the cause.

Thus (depending on the model) your condenser fan is likely OK and the main control is likely failing.

Is there anything else I can answer for you?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
model # KSCS23INSS01
Expert:  Eng-Tech replied 16 days ago.

Ok, one moment while I look that up.

Expert:  Eng-Tech replied 16 days ago.

Yes. this is the model that has the control board that goes bad and causes the condenser fan to stop turning. You will likely need the control board replaced.

You would first want to make sure that the fan motor is not getting voltage from the control board when the compressor is running. If it is not, then replace the control board. If the fan is getting 110VAC from the board but is not turning, the fan is either stuck or bad.

Here is the part number for the control board: WPW10219463

Here is the part number for the fan motor: W10124096

Is there anything else I can help you wit

Would you like information on pricing or how to get it to work temporarily?

Ok, I will need to log off for now but will be back on later if you need anymore help.

Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 14 days ago.

Thanks for the model number, Have you checked the condenser fan for operation yet?