Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

After self cleaning, the oven door will not close all the

Customer Question

After self cleaning, the oven door will not close all the way. It stays open about 4 inches.
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: GE mod JS98S0K5SS
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes 5 yrs
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Nothing else. Just opened after self cleaning this morning and I will not close all the way
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 10 days ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

This sounds like that latch is tripped on the unit. Try to restart a self clean cycle and wait about 20 secs then Cancel it the door latch should return to the home position.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
That did not work

OK is the latch out? If so try to press the latch the opposite way while putting it in to Self clean and canceling it.

Oh and not you have to have the door switch pressed in when you are doing any of this I forgot to tell you that try the first method again but make sure you have the small door switch on the frame depressed.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The latch works. It looks like something is wrong with the hinges at the bottom

Ok are the flip down tabs that you use to release the door up and not binding it at the hinge?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Should I force them down? It looks like there is a small raised pin on the bracket that keeps the tabs from going all the way down.

Yes that is the issue. that have to be flipped up or pushed back down.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated....HAPPY THANKSGIVING!