Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We keep getting an F9 error on our whirlpool Duet front

Customer Question

we keep getting an F9 error on our whirlpool Duet front loader washing machine and are trying to clear it
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 3 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 16 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
ok
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 16 days ago.

Is the door locked shut or can you open the door to get the model number on a sticker just inside the door way?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
i can get it
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 16 days ago.

OK perfect, thank you.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
WFW94HEX 2Serial Number: C21850250
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 16 days ago.

Perfect, thank you. So this error means the washer isn't draining properly unfortunately. Unfortunately these washers are not easy at all to access and fix a drain problem. There is a drain catch inside the washer that you will want to access and clean if you're getting this drain error. To access the drain catch, it's very difficult. The top panel, the control panel, and the entire front panel all need to be removed so that you can access the pump below the tub. It's really a bad design and it was never this difficult in the past, but now there is quite a bit of work involved to clear the drain so unless you're really handy, this is not something you'll want to tackle yourself.

To access the drain pump, you need to pull the washer forward and unplug it. Pull the dispenser drawer completely off the washer. Next, remove the 2 bolts coming in from the back of the top panel. The top panel will pull straight back, up, and off. Remove the screws coming in through the dispenser opening and the screws coming from the inside of the washer going into the control panel. The control panel will then pull up and out of the way. At this point, you just have a few screws going across the top of the front panel to remove. Tip the wash back a bit and there are 2 screws in the bottom right and left corner you need to remove.

Since the door is locked, there is a plastic tab hanging from the bottom of the latch assembly. You need to unplug the washer and pull down on that plastic tab to manually unlock the door. You'll need to reach in from the top of the washer and if you're not tall or have long arms, you may need a stick to help pull down on that plastic tab to unlock the door.

Open the door and you need to disconnect the rubber door gasket. There is a wire ring around the front lip of the rubber door gasket. Use a flat head screwdriver and pry the wire ring off the gasket. Now you can remove the front panel to access the drain pump located under the drum attached to the drain catch.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 15 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?