Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Water coming out the bottom of tbx22ma, just today, I would

Customer Question

water coming out the bottom of tbx22ma
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: just today
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I would say it has expelled nearly a quart of water all day. we noticed it this morning. I don't know. depends on what I find.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: it has a water line extending from the crawlspace with a pressure valve. This is probably 10 years old. Waiting for my son to get back from work so I can pull it out.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 12 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 12 days ago.

If you open the freezer or refrigerator, do you see ice or water building up in the bottom of each section?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No. it's coming from the line in to the icemaker.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 days ago.

OK so either the line is broken or the fill tube up at the icemaker is frozen. If the water is coming from up at the top of the freezer on the back, use a hair dryer to thaw out the fill tube up behind the icemaker. Once it's thawed, you can disconnect the water line down at the valve and blow through it to make sure it's clear---then you should be good to go again.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I don't think this has much to do with a frozen or clogged tube. This is a very old installation. Copper pipe coming in through a whole in the floor to the back of the fridge. I don't know if there's a cutoff valve. I'll have to figure out a way to detach the source tube from the fridge and close it. Not sure if I will reconnect it. As I recall, my ex-wife's brother installed this with a punch valve under the house. I'll have to look tomorrow to see if there's a way to close it. The mounting bracket for the connection and valve is quite corroded. I doubt very seriously if it's going to be fixed with a hairdryer. The leak is entirely at the bottom.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 days ago.

I guess it depends on where the leak is, but if the leak is all the way at the top on the back, then it's a frozen tube. if it's a water line lower then you could just have a leaking water line down lower. But yes, usually there is a saddle valve in the crawl space or under your house that you will need to tighten to shut the water off.

In the mean time, turn the icemaker off so it doesn't call for more water by just raising the arm.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?