Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have double ovens model number MEW9630DS. I did a self

Customer Question

I have double ovens model number MEW9630DS. I did a self clean on the top overn and them a couple hours after the top oven finished, I started a self clean on the bottom oven. Now there is no power to the ovens and the bottom oven is locked. The breakers are not tripped.
JA: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: How do I unplug it? They are built in to the cabinets.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I am not sure. Looking for some help and what would cause this to happen.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: There is no display and the bottom is locked. I need help.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 14 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 14 days ago.

So unfortunately the ovens have overheated. You are supposed to wait 24 hours before self cleaning the the oven again or the other oven after the first oven has finished a self clean cycle. There is a thermal fuse behind the display board that has failed due to it getting too hot. It's part 7 on the diagram in the link below.

CLICK HERE to see thermal fuse

I'm not sure you can get this fuse before thanksgiving at this point and to access the fuse you'll need to manually unlock the door then remove the screws going into the right and left side trim. Then the trim pulls forward at the bottom and straight down exposing 2 screws at the bottom of the control panel on the right and left side which you unscrew to remove the control panel.

It's not easy to manually unlock the door. You'll need to use a coat hanger and pull the latch assembly from RIGHT to LEFT by slipping it down between the door and the oven frame at the top. Force the latch over to the left and open the door, then you can remove the panel in front of the door latch and replace the latch assembly.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 12 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?