Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a Frigidaire side by side and the freezer door wont

Customer Question

i have a Frigidaire side by side and the freezer door wont close properly the top magnets make contact but the lower doesn't the door looks a little higher than the other door obviously its not freezing anything because its not sealed
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Frigidaire is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: ill have to check the model right quick give me just a second and I would say it is probably 10 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: it is a Frigidaire gallery model number glrs263zdb4 manufacture date is 11/04
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 3 months ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
model number is ***** manufactured by fridgidaire 11/04 called a gallery
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
are you there?

ok thank you if the top door gasket area is touching the cabinet but the bottom is not open the door a few inches and hold the bottom with your foot and pull out on the top of the door.

This will tweak the door and then you may have to do this several times to get the door/ gasket material to seal correctly.

If the gasket seems hard and no longer soft to the touch you can use a hair dryer to relax the rubber to get it to soften up some so it will make a good seal.

if you have any questions just reply back to me.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
you don't think its a problem with the hinge or anything like that? and is the door being higher than the other door by 3/8 of an inch or so part of the problem?

no the door being higher then the other has nothing to with the door having a gap at the bottom .

Unless the one not sealing at the bottom is the lower door .and by your post it does not sound as if that is the case ,,is that correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that's correct so I guess your saying the door is twisted a little and I just need to try and straighten it? and use a hair dry to relax the contact?

That is a yes on tweaking the door.

And yes on heating the gasket to relax the rubber .

And as for the door that is lower ,you should be able to remove the front kick plate and loosen the lower door hinge / screws assembly (but just loosen it ) and with your knee raise the door up and then tighten the hinge screws . this should raise the door up some and to properly adjust the unit for looks you may need to do the same to the door that is higher and drop it down a bit so that they even out

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if it doesn't work can I buy a new gasket?

Sure But the only reason you should need a new gasket is if it is ripped or torn ,other then that the gasket can be heated and moved around to reform itself to the cabinet .

I can give you part number of the gaskets if you would like?

Here is the freezer door gasket .

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Door-Gasket/241786002/1379309?replacedManufacturerPartNumber=240390602?rcaid=1000070

The fresh food gasket .

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Door-Gasket/241786001/1379308?replacedManufacturerPartNumber=240390601?rcaid=1000070

If you have any questions just reply back to me .

Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 2 months ago.

I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time