Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

My son has an older Whirlpool wall oven. on bake it heats up

Customer Question

My son has an older Whirlpool wall oven. on bake it heats up to the desired temp. but, instead of maintaining temp. the bottom element goes off & on't come back on. Could this be the temperature sensor?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I;m guessing 90's. The model # is RB160PXYB0
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Serial number XB2301315
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

Sorry your son is having problems with his wall oven. Ok so how the temperature sensor works is as the oven heats up the resistance of the sensor changes the control board monitors these resistances and converts those into a temperature and cycles the unit accordingly. A bad temperature sensor can cause different kinds of issues so yes it could be the sensor, it can be checked with an ohm meter, it should have roughly 1100 ohms at room temperature if so its good. If not its bad.

If the temperature sensor checks out ok then there is an issue with the control board and it needs to be replaced. The replacement parts are listed below.

Temperature Sensor WP8053344 - click here

The control board is no longer being manufactured for that model and there is not an available substitution for it so the only you can do if it's the board is to send it in to company and have it repaired/rebuilt and shipped back to you. Below is a link to a company that you can send the board in to and have it repaired - click here for more information

I kindly ask at this time that you go ahead and click on the 5th star of the star rating system at the top of your page. Afterwards If you have any follow up questions they will be free and I will continue to help until you are completely satisfied. It's very much appreciated, Thank You!

Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 14 days ago.

Hi there,
I see the question is still open and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with?