Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

Ice mker stopped working ive tried cleaning it, Kenmore

Customer Question

ice mker stopped working ive tried cleaning it
JA: What's the make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Kenmore elite(###) ###-#### 3 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: hard water I think I wited too long t clean it waited
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 18 days ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

And (###) ###-####is only about 1/2 of the full model number.

Open the icemaker door and on the right side interior wall should be the model /serial number tag.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
106.89583705

Thank you!
Give me a minute or two to pull up information on this model

ok you have said that the unit has stopped working !!

Does this mean that the unit will not do anything ,just as if it has no power to it?

And do you see any standing water in the bottom ice bin area?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It will pump water into the bin it sits for a bit then it drains out. I suspect it is the pump that puts water onto the freezer plate that is the issue. It dies not make Ice

ok no water should be sitting in the bin at all!

From what your saying I suspect a pump issue but not the water circulation pump .

The condensate drain pump is in the rear of the unit behind the mechanical compartment.

And if you had a lot of scale in the unit from your water .I suspect that the screen on the pump is clogged.

And once the pump has standing water in it`s reservoir it turns the voltage off to the icemaker .

And once the water in the bin is slowly pumped out when the pump senses no more water it gives power back to the icemaker .

And when the icemaker is first powered up it brings in water ,so the pump just keeps turning the power off and on to the icemaker as the icemaker just keeps bringing in water each time it is powered up again .

Are you able to pull the icemaker out from under the cabinets and get behind it?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Unless I'm not following you I want to clarify that the bin is not where the ice drops into but rather the place where water is first pumped into, correct?

The bin is the very bottom where the ice falls into .

The water reservoir is where the water is pumped into to circulate over the evaporator plate.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok. So no standing water in bin. The machine will pump water into the RESERVOIR it will sit there for a minute or two then it dumps the water out into the bin and the drain pump engages and pumps it out.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thru the hoses into the back of the bin...

ok good info !!

When you cleaned the unit did you JUST pour cleaner in the reservoir and set it to clean or did you take the unit apart inside the icemaker to clean all internal parts of the icemaker?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No. that was the next thing I was gonna try. Any hints?

yes in the reservoir is a circulation pump and the water level sensor.

I suspect that the water level sensor is coated with minerals from your water and it is telling the control board that the water in the reservoir need to be flushed out .

Now the sensor may just be coated in minerals /Scale or it may need to be replaced.

And if the sensor is not coated in minerals ,then I recommend replacing it .

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Moisture-Sensor/WPW10548509/2685046?mr=0?rcaid=1000070

If you have any questions just reply back to me .

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Perfect! Thanks. I'll give that a shot. How possible is it to clean the circ pump?

Sure I always take the entire inside apart when cleaning an icemaker .to gain access to the circulation pump you need to drop down the wire grid ,then the reservoir and the water level sensor and the circulation pump are right inside the reservoir .

Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 13 days ago.

I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time