Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

We have a Maytag refrigerator: Model MTF2142ME000.

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, we have a Maytag refrigerator: Model MTF2142ME000. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be cooling. We've set the control to max cool and the motor is running, but not much is happening. The freezer is still making ice cubes, tho. Suggestions?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's probably over 8 years old. The tag says Type 21TFA; Model No. MTF2142ME000.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If it's something simple that I can do, like cleaning coils.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, I think that's all. We'd like to save our Thanksgiving turkey.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 6 months ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Is the compressor running behind the unit? Also are all the fans running?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I believe the compressor is running, but I don't sense fans moving any air.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I believe I hear the compressor quietly running at the back, but I don't sense fans moving any air.

Remove the items in the freezer and the back panel in the freezer and see if the fan is stalled or has power. If that fan does not run nothing will get cold. That would be a pretty common issue as well as I see a lot of those fans fail. Here is a link to a new fan motor.

CLICK HERE

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, thanks. Will do.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do see that the fan motor is not running in the freezer. Does that mean that's my problem?

Yes that is the issue