Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool Trash compactor. Model # TU 8000 XLPD. It

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Trash compactor. Model # TU 8000 XLPD. It came with the house we bought. Compactor is probably built back in the early 80's. Ram is stuck in the down ward position so door will not open. When try to complete cycle with the switch motor just hums. Is there any fix?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Over 35 yrs. Model # TU 8000 XLPD
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes if possible.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have the unit out and have exposed the gear drive and chain. Looks good.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 13 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 13 days ago.

So there is a common problem with this compactor where the bottom plastic gear breaks or strips out and then the motor just runs but nothing else will run. Below is a link to the gear kit you'd need to replace. You will need to uninstall the compactor, tip it on it's side, and remove the bottom sheet metal panel in order to access the plastic gears for replacement.

CLICK HERE for kit

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 13 days ago.

I see you requested a phone call so I'll send you that option if you'd rather speak by phone.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I do not want to pay for a phone call. Clicking on the phone call was the only way I could see to respond back to Tyler. I was just trying to respond to Tyler Z. as the last part of my question has already stated that the unit is out and the bottom panel has been removed and and the gears etc. look good. So Tyler's respond has not helped. Now what?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 13 days ago.

Try to turn the compactor on when it's on it's side and make sure the gears are stripping out. If it won't work then you'd need a technician out because that is very difficult to un-jam something if the compactor is jammed in the bin. At 35 years old it may be better to just replace the disposal.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 12 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?