Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a magical chef gas oven that take for even to light

Customer Question

I have a magical chef gas oven that take for even to light up, is it the igniter?
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Its at least 20 or more years old. Magical Chef Model# ***** Searial # L78397-014 C
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 days ago.

So yes you are on the right track, unfortunately your igniter is just getting weak and needs to be replaced. Igniters generally last about 6-8 years normally and then they either stop working all together, or they just get weak and don't draw 3.2 amps even though they are glowing. If an igniter doesn't pull 3.2 amps, the oven gas safety valve will not open up. Now the bake igniter is mounted to the bake burner below the floor inside the oven so you'd need to pull the floor out of the oven to access the igniter for replacement. Below is a link to the igniter for your model and it costs about $30.

CLICK HERE for oven igniter

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks for the information, will check that out. Get to go now, wife says time to eat.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 days ago.

alright good luck to you! Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and if you need anything else just let me know.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No not at this time , but thanks, bye.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 days ago.

Alright good luck again.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?