Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

How to connect the power source to the Ice maker in Jenn Air

Customer Question

How to connect the power source to the Ice maker in Jenn Air Refrigerator model JRSD 2790
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Jenn-Air is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It was bought in 1998 and the model number shown on it's tag is JRSD 2790.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes. I have a new one that has a connector slot for a plug. On the older one each colored wire is individually connected to a point in the housing. How do we correct this issue?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not at this time.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 13 days ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

I have to assume that you are replacing an old icemaker with a new one .

What is the new icemaker part number that you are trying to install?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The new ice maker model number is *****

ok the icemakers old harness locks into the side of the old icemaker ,you will need to un lock the harness connector from the old icemaker and reuse the harness on the new icemaker

Just look at the connector on the icemaker body you will see the plastic locking tab ,just unlock it and pull it off the old icemaker then plug it in to the new icemaker.

This statement is right from the manufacture.

((Refrigerator icemaker assembly, modular style. The new icemaker does not include a new cover, ice level arm, or wire harness, these components will need to be reused from original icemaker.))

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I looked at the connector on the old icemaker body. The Yellow wire has single tab. The Blue wire has a tab with a extension blue wire the reconnect to a Lift arm. The Yellow and Green wire is connect to the back plate and in the housing. The Black wire is connect to the back plate and to a screw in the housing.

and the harness just does not plug right into the side of the icemaker ?

it sounds as if some one has scabbed this icemaker into the unit the original should look like this parts break down , just the new icemakers do not have the same plug into the refrigerator plug as show on item #20

http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/X2905316-00010.png

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Nope. It has a collar with the different colored wire protruding from the end and going to where they are connected.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The end that connects to the power source looks the same. The wires are in one casing and there is no single connector at the ice maker connection. The wires are connected individually to the ice maker.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The old ice maker circuit has individual components instead of a circuit board.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Is there a wiring harness, for the new ice maker, to connect to my refrigerator?
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 12 days ago.

ok the parts break down that I sent you is a break down of the original icemaker!!

Can you send me a photo of the old icemaker that you are trying to replace?

And NO there is no replacement wire harness ,that is why the manufacture states (( Refrigerator icemaker assembly, modular style. The new icemaker does not include a new cover, ice level arm, or wire harness, these components will need to be reused from original icemaker.))

Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 7 days ago.

I see you have NOT replied back to me .
Do you still need assistance on your question?

And Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time