Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have an Amana oven with a manual lock that is Stuck, It's

Customer Question

I have an Amana oven with a manual lock that is Stuck
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Amana is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's quite old at least 16to 17 years old. Where can I find the model?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I'm not sure. The door was locked while pizza was cooking by accident. Oven has cooled but still won't open. If I can do it I will but it may be beyond my scope
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 5 months ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

The model number is ***** on the face frame of the oven and you can only see it when the door is opened.

So if the door is locked you will not be able to see the model number.

But lets see if we can get the door to unlock.

Set the oven to a self clean mode, wait approx 30-45 seconds then cancel the clean mode and then try to unlock the door and see what happens.

Let me know please.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Still won't unlock

My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.

Let me know please.

Ok And this unit DOES have the manual latch lever that you have to manually mover from left to right to unlock and from right to left to unlock correct?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Correct

ok since this is an older manual locking lever mechanical locking system .

You can try forcing the lever over to the left to unlock it .Which MAY unlock the door.

Or it has a small temperature controlled locking tab that does not allow the lever to be moved when it it hot.And since the oven is NOW cold ,we have to assume that the temperature locking tab has failed , which means the locking/ lever assembly will have to be replaced anyway.

But lets try tapping rather hard on the front of the oven to see if by chance you can get the temperature locking tab to move,, so that you can get the lever / locking assembly to unlock.

NoW I hate to say pound on the front of the oven but you will need to use enough force so that the internal parts of the latch assembly will hopefully move so you can then unlock the oven door

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No luck
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the handle fell off of the lever

ok so you will need to force the door open by either forcing the latch lever ,or you may need to have to call for a in home servicer to force the latch / lever assembly to be unlocked which will meant the latch lever will be destroyed and would need to be replaced.

NOW that bad part !! with the unit being this old once you break the latch assembly the part may no longer be available from the manufacture.

By law appliance manufactured only have to store replacement part for 7 years .

If you have any questions just reply back to me.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your help

no problem ,good luck .

I know it probably was not the answer that you were hoping to get.

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time.

Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 4 months ago.

I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time