Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Maytag washer runs and cycles but at the end of the spin

Customer Question

maytag washer runs and cycles but at the end of the spin cycle the clothes are still very wet. agitator turns very hard by hand but turning the belt and pulley is easy
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2005 mav5758eww
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: depends on the problem and ease of repair
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not at this time
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 days ago.

If the washer still drains, then the belt is still turning and the motor is running and turning in the correct direction. Unfortunately that means you have a very common problem with this washer and the friction gear inside the transmission is beginning to fail which stops the basket from spinning. Some light loads might still spin out, otherwise the gear is either really worn out or something is stuck between the inner and outer tub preventing the basket from moving at all. You could try to take the inner basket out to make sure something isn't stuck, but other than that you'd need a new transmission which is about $350 to have replaced and really not worth repairing on this washer---but that is completely up to you of course.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.