Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool refrigerator, model WRF991BOOMd. The

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool refrigerator, model WRF991BOOMd. The Replace filter message, along with the beeps, come up every time we get water from the door. We have replaced the filter, ran the recommended amount of water to flush the system. We have done that twice. There is no reset button on this model. We had a general appliance repair technician look at this, but he couldn't come up with any solution to turn off the message and annoying beeps. He thought it might be a control board failure.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: We bought this refrigerator new from Lowe's about two years ago. The model number is ***** 991Boom 01, I did put in a "d instead of 01 at the
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Is it an easy fix?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: You haven't told me how to fix it.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 17 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 17 days ago.

So closing the filter compartment door should just reset the counter and if that isn't occurring it sounds like the switch up above the filter compartment that monitors whether you have opened the filter compartment to replace the filter is not working properly and would need to be replaced. This is quite a difficult machine to repair and access yourself but that is what would need to be replaced to resolve the issue.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
We have gone through that process, it did not solve the problem. Would you recommend a repair service to use to take care of this problem and give me an estimate for what it would cost?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 17 days ago.

You have replaced the switch? If so then that would leave only your control board but that is quite unusual. Replacing the switch would be about $150 with a technician and replacing the board would be about $350. But yes, it's a fairly difficult unit to work on so I would contact a servicer to repair the unit.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
We have not had the switch replaced. So I'm assuming that would be the first thing to have a technician try, right?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 17 days ago.

Correct, yes.