Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

It keeps pumping /, but there is no water in the dishwasher.

Customer Question

it keeps pumping /, but there is no water in the dishwasher. It pumps out after it starts. Do we have a fried control panel?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your dishwasher? And have you run a diagnostic test cycle?
Customer: SHE45MO6uc, Serial #FD8707-01361. How do you run a diagnostic test?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If it is a control panel, I can order that and do it. If not, we'll have to call a repair person.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Do control panels go out so the dishwasher does strange things. We live 45 miles from Moses Lake and 100 miles from Spokane, so it will be expensive, but not as expensive as a new dishwasher. We purchased it on 10/19/2007. How do you run a diagnostic test?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately your dishwasher is stuck in "flood mode". That impeller that is turning is actually the drain pump continuously running. What that means is that water has worked it's way down into the base pan below the dishwasher tub causing the unit to do nothing but drain. This is normally caused by the drain being clogged or too many suds in the tub causing the tub to overflow a bit. Either way, you'll need to uninstall the dishwasher and tip it forward at a 45 degree angle to drain the water out of the base pan. Be sure to put a towel under the dishwasher first so that the water is soaked up in the towel instead of going all over the floor. Once you've drained all the water out of the base pan, reinstall the dishwasher and pour a gallon of water in the dishwasher. If it drains it out right away and doesn't wash or refill, you still have water left in the base pan to try again, otherwise you're good to go.

Now if you don't want to do all this work just to get your dishwasher working again and you have time, let the dishwasher just sit unused for a week and the water in the base pan will evaporate as time goes on and the dishwasher will start working again after a week.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.