Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My jenn air stove top gas ignitors are running and won't

Customer Question

My jenn air stove top gas ignitors are running and won't shut off. I have turned breaker on / off and it still is not stopping. It stopped when I shut off the breaker.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Jenn-Air is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 4 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Model is JDS9860CDB01
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 16 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 16 days ago.

If the unit just keeps sparking it usually means that one of the spark switches behind one of the burner knobs got wet either from cleaning the cooktop or boiling over or something like that. You'll want to unplug the unit and just allow the unit to dry for 24 hours if there is a possibility the switch got wet. Other than that if it doesn't work after 24 hours of drying out, your burner switch harness will need to be ordered and replaced and that is part number 7450P005-60.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok, thanks. I will unplug it in a couple of minutes - about finished cooking, then can let it dry out. Thanks gain.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 16 days ago.

No problem and good luck! Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and if you need anything else just let me know.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Well it is still clicking. Can I disconnect it to get over the thanksgiving holiday and then replace it? If so, do you have instructions on how to disconnect it?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 15 days ago.

You would need to disconnect part 2 in the link below.

CLICK HERE to see diagram

As for how to access and replace it, flip the circuit breaker off and open the oven door. Remove the screws below the control panel and remove all the knobs on the control panel. Remove the screws behind each of the knobs. Now pull the oven out about 6 inches and remove the screws just behind the control panel on the right and left side. The control panel should pull off so you can unplug that switch harness. You need to replace part 2, that is also what you are unplugging for temporary use---you'll have to light with a match in the mean time however.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok, got it to stop clicking by disconnecting the harness. I looked at the diagram that you sent, but it does not show a part for Part #2 when you look at the parts to order below the diagram. Any suggestions on where to get it?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 15 days ago.

The part number is ***** but I don't see any place that has the part currently other than Ebay. Now again, I've been helping you for 2 days and you have not rated me for all my time I've spent helping you so I ask that you please do this. It doesn't end the conversation it just ensures that I get credit for my time helping you.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 14 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?