Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I am getting black streaky stains every now and then. I

Customer Question

I am getting black streaky stains every now and then. I don't use fabric softener. I don't use the dispenser for the soap. i put the powdered soap directly in the washer tub. could that be the problem? thank you
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: ge hydro wave quiet agitator
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: sure
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I only will do the work if simple
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 16 days ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

You should put the soap in the dispenser, the streaks may be caused from that or possibly something has gotten under the agitator that is marking the clothes. I would try to put the detergent in the dispenser and then see what happens. Then we can go from there.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
i just noticed that the dispenser i was referring to says "bleach only". the dispenser that is on top of the agitator is for fabric softener. there is a picture drawing on a sticker on the machine that shows that the soap goes directly into the tub
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
no

OK if you do not have the soap dispenser then yes I would remove the agitator and check for anything that could be marking the clothes there.