Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My Jenn-Air Mod #JFC20899WEMS is freezing my food in the

Customer Question

Hi, my Jenn-Air Mod #JFC20899WEMS is freezing my food in the refrigerator the temperature reads 43 degrees and frost is forming on the back wall. My food is freezing and Thanksgiving is two days away HELP !!!
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 17 days ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Is there frost in the freezer back wall?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have no technical knowledge of refrigerators
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I'm waiting to hear from you

Ok are you saying there is frost on the back freezer wall?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
there is a frost on the back freezer wall..

That is likely a defrost issue you need to remove the rear panel in the freezer section. If the evaporator is built up with excessive frost you need to defrost the frost build up with a hairdryer or steamer. Then you need to check the heater for continuity and the defrost thermostat for continuity as well, that is clipped to the evaporator. It has to be cold to test it and it should read continuity with an ohm meter as well when cold. If all that tests good you likely have a bad defrost control. You can just defrost the unit for 8 hours and plug it back in and it will work fine for at least 5-7 days if you can not do the work and need a tech.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.