Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Sears Oven with the red lock light on, and the door

Customer Question

I have a Sears Oven with the red lock light on, and the door won't close
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Kenmore
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: f you c an help me.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 days ago.

This should actually be a fairly easy issue to fix. When the door gets locked open, you just need to trick the door into thinking that it's shut. So open the door and locate the door/light switch around the frame of the oven. Push the door switch in and hold it so that the oven thinks the door is shut. Now just start a self clean cycle and wait 60 seconds. Then cancel the self clean cycle and the door lock should open. At that point you can let go of the light switch and the oven should work normally.

If that doesn't work, tape the door switch so it's pushed in and the oven thinks the door is shut. Then unplug the oven or turn power off at the breaker for 60 seconds and re-apply power and that will reset the latch if the latch hasn't failed.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.