Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We just moved into a home with a GE Propane Oven/Stove. We

Customer Question

We just moved into a home with a GE Propane Oven/Stove. We have never owned or used Propane or gas to cook previously. OVen makes a chronic popping sound even when it is off and no cleaning is being done. What causes this and should we be worried?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Looked all over and cannot find model number, although on the instruction manual it says: "Self-Cleaning Duel Fuel Convection Ranges" and has the following two numbers on the manual: P2B930 and C2S985. WE cannot find invoice!
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Not certain; depends upon seriousness!
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Has done popping but not frequently when it is off. We turned it on this morning to check to be sure it worked for Thanksgiving later in the week and it has been popping now and then since turned off.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 17 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 17 days ago.

Is the popping noise you hear like the noise from the spark tip trying to light the unit even though nothing is turned on?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 17 days ago.

OK so to start you'd need to make sure the oven is getting a good ground or it can cause the spark module to spark when it's not supposed to. Other than that if water isn't getting on the burner switches below the knobs after cleaning the top or something like that, the spark module is just beginning to fail and would need to be replaced so below is a link to the part you'd need to order and replace for your model number.

CLICK HERE for spark module

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.