Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a kitchen aid dishwasher. It will fill but starts

Customer Question

Hi , I have a kitchen aid dishwasher. It will fill but starts humming sound. The wash cycle never starts
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: about two years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if its easy
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I've taken it apart to check for any clogs, and clean everything out. The water does drain. It just won't start wash cycle
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 20 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 20 days ago.

If the dishwasher does fill and it drains, it means something is going on with your circulation pump. This pump is separate from the drain pump and you say you hear it humming so you know it's getting power. That means you'll need to uninstall the dishwasher, tip it on it's back, and remove the circulation pump to see if anything is jamming the impeller blade. If the impeller of the pump isn't jammed, you need to replace the pump itself. My guess would be that the pump is bad because I've been seeing quite a few of these fail on these newer Kitchen Aid units I'm sorry to say.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.