Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a Maytag Neptune model MAH5500B. The clothes have

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Neptune model MAH5500B. The clothes have been coming out dripping wet. I followed some dialog on this forum which has been helpful. Here's what else I know:
- I removed and inspected the pump and here are no obstructions.
- the door DOES lock when in rinse cycle.
- when I run the rinse option, the timer starts at 15 minutes. When it gets down to 7 minutes, it goes back to 8 and seems to run the rinse again. It does this 3-4 times. Takes about 30 minutes to do the rinse option. I don't know if this is expected or not, but it happens with my machine all the time.
Any ideas what the problem could be?
thanks.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

Does the washer go into high spin?

using the sheet I supplied below follow the directions on page 11 listed under motor and motor control test and let me know what it does, thanks.

click here to open/download tech data sheet

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Joel.
Yes, I think the washer goes into high spin. It definitely spins - I guess I don't know what's "high".
I ran the Motor and Control Test and all steps though 8 completed successfully. One thing of note, I was not able to unlock the door with "max extract". The door lock test stops, but the door lock light stays on and the door remains locked. I also could not get it out of Board Output Test. So that is the state of the machine right now: Board Output Test Mode with successful Motor and Control Test and door locked.

go ahead and exit the service mode by pressing the delicates and heavy soil keys for 3 seconds and see if the it will come out of service mode, if not unplug the unit for 10 minutes plug it back in and it should be in stand by mode. If the motor test checked out which it sounds as if it did, and the fact the door lock test did not complete tells me the door lock circuit may have an issue which is why the unit will not spin during a normal cycle. After exiting the service mode and/or unplugging the unit try running a cycle and see what the unit does the door may be locking but the circuit may be bad and the computer is not recognizing its locked which means the door lock mechanism will need to be replaced.

I kindly ask at this time that you go ahead and click on the 5th star of the star rating system at the top of your page. Afterwards If you have any follow up questions they will be free and I will continue to help until you are completely satisfied. It's very much appreciated, Thank You!

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The door wouldn't unlock. I tried exiting the service mode and unplugging the unit. I had to unlatch the door using the cord in the dispenser tray panel. is that further indication of the door lock mechanism needing replacement?Why do you think the unit won't spin during a normal cycle? Did we test that?

If the door lock circuit is having issues which it seems to be the case, then the computer will think the door is not locked and will not spin as a safety feature, so yes I think the lock is the issue the replacement is listed below.

Washer Door Lock Assembly

Part #: WP22003593 - click here

Hi there,
I see the question is still open and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I'm on the east coast.
I'll order that part and see what happens.
Thanks.
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 15 days ago.

you are welcome, let me know thanks.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I replaced the washer door lock assembly, it did not help.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 7 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is***** see the other tech has opted out. It sounds as if your problem is related with your control board and will need to be replaced. This is not a difficult part to replace

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 7 days ago.

This is the part I am referring to. that is why your board output test failed. Its not telling the unit what it is supposed to do.

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Maytag-Washing-Machine-Main-Control-Board/WP22004299/1032966?modelNumber=MAH5500BWW&ss=a11b4i1995d563804&mr=1

It is not a cheap part but I do believe it will solve your problem.

I do hope you have found my information helpful and would be willing to rate with 5 stars at the top so I am credited for my time. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
ok, thanks, I'll have to see. That's close to a $300 part. I want to see how returns work, and for the part I bought already too.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 7 days ago.

I am not sure where you ordered the previous part from but I do know that repair clinic will return parts that do not fix your issue. That is why I tend to go with there company more.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 7 days ago.

I wanted to check in with you to see if you needed anything further? If you have found my information helpful and would be willing to rate with 5 stars at the top so I am credited for my time. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hello. Repair Clinic says "This part is often misdiagnosed and may require some electrical testing with a voltage meter to determine if it is defective." Is it worth testing it first? And if so, do you know how to do that?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 6 days ago.

Yeah I know they say you can test it but honestly besides seeing if voltage is coming in and voltage is coming out it still doesn't tell you if its the problem or not. I do feel you are going to find this to be the issue and the great thing about this company if it does not solve your problem they even let you send it back and get your money back. I just do not believe you will have to worry about that. Your board is certainly the problem.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
ok, I have the part. Are there instructions for replacing it?
thanks.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 4 days ago.

so basically pay attention to the wires as you pull them out and make sure that you place the wires in the same way they came out and you should be good to go.

Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 4 days ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

I am a different tech, that board may not solve that issue on your unit as normally that would be a motor control board failure or a spin enable switch issue. The key is if the unit does rotate during agitate. If it does rotate during agitate then you more likely have a spin enable switch issue with the door lock. If it does not rotate at all during both wash or spin then more than likley a MOTOR CONTROL BOARD FAILURE, not the board you have received. The board you have received just has modular plugs on it and you can not get them in the wrong spots plugging them in. I do not believe though this will solve your issue.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated....HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Sigh.
ok, thanks for the answer. How do I tell if the unit it rotating during agitate? As you probably saw from above, I have already replaced the Washer Door Lock Assembly and it did not help. Would that have addressed the spin enable switch issue with the door lock?Should I even bother trying to replace the main control board?Please understand my frustration here... you are the 3rd tech I have gotten for this issue and each has been confident in their solution. I will not provide a good rating until my issue is resolved because as I'm sure you know, I have no recourse once I have done that.