Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Yesterday i turned on the stove to boil some spaghetti - the

Customer Question

hi, yesterday i turned on the stove to boil some spaghetti - the flame was on high. I went to take a shower and when i went downstairs 20 min later the flame was out and the stove was still on - I could smell gas all the way upstairs. This is the first time that the flame just went out - I am a little nervous now about turning on the stove and leaving the kitchen. Is this a common but infrequent occurrence?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: it just happened once yesterday
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no... i am not sure what work is needed...
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no.. just that the flame went out for no reason and gas was leaking in the house. I am trying to understand if this is a common but infrequent occurrence - I have had the stove for 8 years and it never happened before
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 14 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 14 days ago.

So most stove tops now have an automatic re-ignition where if the flame goes out then it will continue trying to relight until the gas has lit. You can see if your unit has this by blowing on the flame by the spark tip and see if it causes the unit to try to click and re-light. If you don't have this, this can happen at any time if you get a gust of wind or boil over or anything like that---but it is very infrequent to say the least. Still, when it happens it can have dire consequences which is why most units made now have auto re-ignition so you never run into this problem.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.