Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

I have a Maytag French door fridge with an ice maker.

Customer Question

I have a Maytag French door fridge with an ice maker. recently, the ice has been melting and refreezing. I noticed that the plastic flap that should close is not. It is staying open, but I cannot see what is causing this - nothing seems broken, frozen over, or out of place. What do I do?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is 3 yrs old, I'm looking for the model #
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends. If I can, yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The model number is *****
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 20 days ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

There is a solenoid in the ice flapper chute assembly that opens and closes the chute when they fail it causes the chute to not close properly. Unfortunately the chute assembly comes as one part so you cant order replacement parts for the chute assembly you just have to replace the entire thing. I have listed the new assembly below:

Dispenser WP13005705 - click here

******************************************************************************

Since I have given you the initial answer I ask that you go ahead and rate the answer by clicking on the 5th star to the right on the star rating system and any follow up questions will be free and of course I will continue to help until your issue is solved. If you can't figure out how to rate the answer please let me know.

The one I linked you to originally seems to be out of stock, so here is a link to one at sears they have them available - click here

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
That's not the correct part. The is due is with the hard plastic flap on the ice maker itself, not the black plastic flap that separates the ice cute from outside air.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
The problem is with the hard plastic flap... sorry my phone thinks it knows what I'm trying to say. Anyway, that plastic flap is usually closed with a very slight gap. It closes when I remove the ice try, but pops open when I lock the tray back in place.

sorry I have to step out for a while so will opt out so another tech can you help further thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thanks anyway, but nevermind. I'll call Maytag support on Monday. I need to troubleshoot or replace the ice bin assembly according to the Maytag parts guide.