Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Pearl. We just purchased a Whirlpool gas stove in Mexico and

Customer Question

Hi, Pearl. We just purchased a Whirlpool gas stove in Mexico and are having trouble adjusting the burner low flame down. We cannot get to a low enough simmering state so whatever we are cooking gets too hot. It is a newer model. The model number is ***** with NFW or WF starting and long list of applicable model. I am not sure which one is ours and the number may only have to distribution in Mexico. I pulled off the knob that turns on and regulates the flame. In older gas model there is usually a tiny adjustment screw in the shaft. There is none on this model.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is most likely less that two years. We just got it at Costco. Where would I find the model number?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes. There are not qualified gas appliance technician in our area.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It is running on LP. But normally appliance sold in Mexico are configured to run on LP, not one natural gas.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 18 days ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Have the orifices been converted to LP?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I am not sure if it has been converted to LP. I am in Mexico and most appliances sold here are normally converted since natural gas is not readily available here. I purchased the stove at Costco in Morelia the capitol of Michocan. I live in Patzuaro 45 minutes away. This is a colonial town that have few skilled technicians for home appliances. I am highly skilled in computers and had a background in machine automation in the states (US). Have quite a bit of hands on experience in industrial equipment. I can take a picture of the stove if that would help.
Thanks, "Appliance Guru".
Rich
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I have taken picture of the Whirlpool stove to give a clue as to what I am talking about. By the way, where on the stove can I find the model number?

If the flames are really big it likely has not been converted and will need to be, are they really high on the burners? If so the orifices are wrong.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No, the flames are not really high. See photos attached. Note: We are at 7200 feet elevation. Don't know if this might be a factor. With the low flame my wife need to really keep on eye to see to it that things do not boil over. They just do not simmer. A am attaching a photo of the Whirlpool user information. Any help on resolving this would truly be appreciated.
Thanks, ***** *****
Rich
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 17 days ago.

WHat is the complete model number off the unit?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
WF6059D00 VE63797663
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 16 days ago.

That is about as low as they will normally go there are no adjustments on your unit to set the lowest flame point on that model. There really is not much you could do other than get a different unit. I wish I had better news on this sorry.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site

Let me know if you need anything else.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Find another appliance is not a good answer. I don't think that enough research was done to answer the question. I may have found the way to adjust the low flame so that things do not boil but are allowed to simmer. If you want to know I will provide the solution, or at least what I think will be the solution. Anyway, thanks for your help.
Rich
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 13 days ago.

Sure Rich what did you find out?