John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Have an old Gaffer Satler double oven pilot always works but

Customer Question

Have an old Gaffer Satler double oven pilot always works but the gas tube lights off and on , it may work for about a week and then just stop working.
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: elegante and the modle is F2578188
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: that depends on how involved it is my biggest concern is the gas line and doing it right
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: already called homeowner to repair it but if its something quick my wife is doing all the cooking for Thanks Giving so she's stressed.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 15 days ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 15 days ago.

Most oftentimes, this is an issue with the thermocouple that tells the valve when to open. It could be that the pilot is not heating it well or it is weak. Turn the oven on and access the burner tube area. Once the oven lights, use a long handled screwdriver (or anything hard) and tap on the burner tube and pilot tube area to get and "gunk" to come out. You will likely see a good deal of orange and sparkling bits when you do that. Continue until the sparkling bits are no longer present. Any change?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
right now the oven is not lighting, will this work with just a pilot?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
i just talked to my wife, she already called repair man I just thought I could fix it if it was simple she would rather wait till monday to be sure it works, shes panic makiing all Thanks Giving doesn't want to take the risk that what I fix may not last. But I do thank you for your time
Expert:  Kelly replied 15 days ago.

Yes, tap the pilot and see what happens when you turn the oven on. Does the flame increase to engulf the thermocouple?

Expert:  Kelly replied 15 days ago.

They are going to charge you $150 to do this, but okay. Take care.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
it does
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Looks like I need the tech. Anyway
Taping the debris of the pilot I hit top pin broke off now it won't light.
You guys are great, the Handy man on this end need work. Thank You for your help.