Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

GE Gas oven. Burners will light but the over will not.

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

Since your cooktop still works, it sounds like your bake igniter is just going out and needs to be replaced. Igniters generally last about 6-8 years normally and then they either stop working all together, or they just get weak and don't draw 3.2 amps even though they are glowing. If an igniter doesn't pull 3.2 amps, the oven gas safety valve will not open up. Now the bake igniter is mounted to the bake burner below the floor inside the oven so you'd need to pull the floor out of the oven to access the igniter for replacement.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there a way to test the ignitor
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

If you have an amp clamp you can clamp one of the wires going to the igniter to see if you're drawing 3.2 amps when you turn the oven to bake and if not, then the igniter is bad. If you don't have an amp clamp you can't test it I'm afraid.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?