Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Samsung RFG238aars is not cooling fridge or freezer. The

Customer Question

Samsung RFG238aars is not cooling fridge or freezer. The compressor, condensing fan and evaporator fan are all running. No ice build up.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Samsung is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Purchased in 2010. Model is RFG238aars
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 18 days ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 18 days ago.

To be sure I fully understand, neither the refrigerator or refrigerator is cooling at all, all the fans are running and the compressor is for certain running?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Correct
Expert:  Kelly replied 18 days ago.

Okay, that is not good. It means there is an issue with the sealed refrigeration system, likely a leak has allowed the refrigerant to escape. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 18 days ago.

A sealed system repair is a repair that will require specialized tools and training, as well as a federal license to handle the refrigerant. A typical leak repair runs about $300 + parts. It will require the system be totally evacuated, a leak detection dye or high pressure nitrogen charge to be installed to identify the leak and then repairing/replacing the leaking component. A new filter drier will need to be installed and the proper refrigerant charge weighed in using precise measuring equipment. It is a 2-4 hour job.

Please know that I am compensated by the site only after you offer a rating at the top of the page. It is my goal to provide 5 star service!

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions! Thank you so much!