Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Kitchen aid refriderator kbfs20evms13 top half (fridge) temp

Customer Question

kitchen aid refriderator kbfs20evms13 top half (fridge) temp alarm last night won't cool below 50. freezer seems fine. ice cream is hard frozen.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: purchase Feb 2014 m/n KBFS20EVMS13
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: YES
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

So let's start by explaining the possibilities for your symptoms. This means that you either have a defrost problem or the fan inside the freezer behind the back panel isn't running and needs to be replaced. Pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel. If the fan isn't running then replace it. If there is a lot of frost build up, then use a hair dryer to thaw it all out. You will then need to test continuity through the defrost heater and defrost thermostat. The defrost heater runs along the bottom of the silver coils and the defrost thermostat is the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part doesn't have continuity, you need to replace it or it stops the unit from thawing on it's own.

To remove the back panel itself, just remove all the screws going into the back panel to start. There is a plastic vent directly in the middle toward the top of the back panel that you must unclip. There are 3 hidden clips you must pry on with a flat head screwdriver to release this vent panel and below is a picture where I drew an arrow to all the clip locations you need to pry on.

To the right of this vent is a little oval plastic cover which houses a temperature sensor. Slide a flat head screwdriver into the slit on the front of the cover and pry in the hole to release this cover and get the sensor out of the way. Now you can pull the back panel off.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Tyler,
this is a kitchenaid, bottom drawer freezer KBFS20EVMS13. The fan is running. there is no vent as you described and show in the picture link. There is a covered flap on the inside of the refrigerator (top unit) that is closed. Lots of cold air comes out if I pry it open. See attached pictures.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

OK perfect, I was actually talking about the freezer section---but honestly there is no reason to look in the freezer section if you say that you open the flap up in the refrigerator and air comes through. That means you either have a bad thermistor sensor (mounted up above the light fixture), or that damper (the flap you are opening) is bad and not opening properly. You can't test the damper but if you have a model number you can test resistance of the sensor and it should be about 10,000 ohms at room temperature. If not then replace it. Otherwise replace that damper assembly. You can get parts at Searspartsdirect.com if you like.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do I remove the entire control and light assembly to get to thermister?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
It's just clipped into the ceiling all the way around so you. Red to use a putty knife and pry between the seam where the light fixture attaches to the ceiling
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I get about 2600 ohms across two black wires shown in picture. The little white cyclinder (picture) is the thermistor -right? The flap on the damper can only be physically opened about 1/4 inch by hand.What do you think? Damper?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

hmm that's a tough one. It sounds like your thermistor is out of range but there isn't really a reason the damper shouldn't open all the way either. The sensor is cheap enough that I would probably just replace both to make sure the issue is fixed. Otherwise, I'd replace the sensor first since you know it's out of range.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks. I'll see if I can find a thermistor locally to fix today.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

Alright, good luck.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?