Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Maytag washer, MTW5700T00, SN CW3041257, fills with water

Customer Question

My Maytag washer, MTW5700T00, SN CW3041257, fills with water but then stops and will not continue the cycle.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: The Model is MTW 5700T00 (although it is difficult to see and some/all of the zeroes may be the letter O or Q). Believe it is about ten years old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If it can be easily done. Otherwise, NO
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: ???? This has happened occasionally in past, but on those occasions if I thumped the top lid it would start right up.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 21 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 21 days ago.

OK perfect. There is a common problem with this washer regarding the lid switch which happens to cut out the timer as well as the agitate and spin/drain options. The lid switch for this model is located under the top panel in the back left corner. There is an extension arm from the back left lid hinge that activates the lid switch. Most of the time this extension just gets slightly bent so all you need to do is remove the outer shell of the washer, open the lid and bent the extension slightly up so it engages the lid switch better. Do NOT over bend this bar or when you shut the door it will push too hard on the lid switch and break the mounts. If you bent the extension and you still have issues, then you'll want to replace the lid switch itself.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 19 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?