Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Where is the main board that I can test the defrost system?

Customer Question

JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: a few days
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have a whirlpool side by side that is not cooling on the fridge side
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 5 years ED5LHAXWT02
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 18 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 18 days ago.

So first, on this unit you can't test the board so if you have a defrost problem, you'll need to remove the lower back panel INSIDE the freezer and locate the defrost heater that runs along the bottom of the silver coils as well as the defrost thermostat clipped onto the top of the silver coils. The thermostat is about 1" in diameter and has 2 wires going to it and the heater looks like a bake element and runs below the silver coils. If you have a multimeter, test both of these for continuity and if either doesn't have continuity---replace it. If they both check good then you have a bad defrost control board located up inside the control panel of your refrigerator section. Below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for defrost control board

To access, unplug the refrigerator and remove the knobs for the refrigerator and freezer temperature controls. The front face of the control panel will pry off with a butter knife. Remove the front face to expose 2 mounting screws. Remove these 2 screws as well as the screws behind the control panel going up into the ceiling. Then the panel will pull down to replace the board.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.