Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a4yr Maytag electric dryer;began flashing "PF" and

Customer Question

I have a4yr Maytag electric dryer;began flashing "PF" and quit working; the repair man replaced the main control board and a 220v circuit. W/in a wk, one of the 3 prongs coming from dryer to wall caught fire, burning down to the prongs plastic and making a well of melted plastic
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 4yrs old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Heck no! I don't know why after the repair, the plug caught fire or if the machine should be used again after a new plug is replaced
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I was charged $600 ; when I first spoke to the repair man, he said I just didn't want to pay the bill balance. Now he wants me to hire an electrition to determine the problem and if repair man didn't do anything to cause the fire ,I pay electrition and balance
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 19 days ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

And what is your question on the dryer?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Maytag Maxima 4yr old
model #MED6000XGO
Serial Mll305344
Electric dryer flashed "PF",eventually stopped working.Repair man replaced main control board and a 220v circit; w/in a week, one on the 3 progs caught fire, burning down to plastic making well. Dryer did not give warning. Just stopped. Repair man said it was because I didn't want to pay the balance of bill;His corporate office called and told me John was to come back out and look at machine. He denied it was anything he did, but I should hire an electrician to investigate. The repairs cost $600 and now I have to pay an electrician?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No, 'm not fixing it; I don't even think the cord should be replaced and this dryer be used again.

ok It seem like you think you are corresponding with the appliance manufacture.

This is the question and answer Web site Just Answer This is the DIY appliance Category.

You have given me all this information ,but still have not told me what your asking me to do ?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
why did the prong catch fire after he replaced the control board and circuit? Did he not tighten something enough?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I know I'm speaking to an experience repair man and not a corporate office.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
are you there?

About the only reason a cord/ plug would get hot is if it had a loose connection

So if by chance the blade prongs of the cord where not making a good contact to the blade receivers in the outlet it would cause the blade to get hot and if left long enough it could melt the cords rubber coating.

That does happen often on an appliance that pulls a large amount of amperage when running.

And a dryer does pull approx 25-27 amps when running and heating .

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
you don't think the repair man did anything wrong (except not plugging completely into the socket?

Yes I do not think it was anything that the repair person did if it had been something the repair person had done it would normally be something internal of the cabinet that had gotten hot or shorted out and tripped the breaker

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
is there damage to the wires inside the wall?

That would not be a question I could answer ,,with out having to take the cover off the outlet and looking at it .

But If Your asking me to guess ,Then I would say it MIGHT have gotten hot enough to start to melt the insulation off the wires that are connected to the screws on the outlet

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I assumed so since there was a fire

yes vert possibly it got hot inside the wall as well as outside the wall.

Your best bet is to have some one either a handy person or an electrician look at it to be 100% sure.