Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

My maytag fridge has stopped cooling and freezing but motor

My maytag fridge has stopped cooling and freezing but motor still appears to run! Is it worth fixing and would it be expensive
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: No idea of age but on the back of the fridge GS2127PAHW.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: only if it's worth fixing or buying a new one?

Hello, this is Dave and I welcome you to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Can you pull it out? We need to take off the lower panel in the back to see what is running. We need to know if the compressor ios running. It is the large round black part with metal tubes attached. Is it hot and vibrating slightly?

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry had a family crisis. Will get back to you ASAP when I have time to pull out fridge. Thank you.

Hope all is well. Take your time and be safe.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Dave back on line. Yes the black thingy is warm and has a gentle vibration. Was felt more when switched on and was cold.Regards

Hello again. If you aren't getting cooling on the back wall in the freezer you have a serious problem. You either have a refrigerant leak, restriction or the compressor is not pumping. Any of these would be very expensive. The compressor would be about $360 just for the part. Leak or restriction would vary depending how easy it is to locate the right area but I would say still $200 and up. If the leak in in the evaporator section they would need to replace the compressor as well. That would end up being about the same as buying a new refrigerator. Sorry for the bad news.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's what I feared . Thanks very much for getting back to me. Looks like I need to look for a new fridge.

Not nice to hear before Christmas but Merry Christmas!