Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

My top-loading Whirlpool washer is leaking. The water is

Customer Question

My top-loading Whirlpool washer is leaking. The water is leaking from the bottom at the rear of the machine. I watched it during the first fill, wash, spin, and drain and it was fine. But sometime later in the cycle it started leaking.I took it apart, and there doesn't appear to be water stains or wet parts under the tub, or around the drain. And there are no wet surfaces anywhere just a few minutes after it leaked. What I DID see is rusty parts (a spring and metal bracket) at the very back bottom of the machine. And on the inside of the backplate, below the water inlet, there are water stains. I took the inlet hose off and it's not leaking. and the inlet fixture does not look cracked. All I have is that rust and white calcified water stains at the back.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 14 days ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

The model number is ***** the lid at the rear of the opening on top loaders .If you open the washer lid ,
under the lid NOT on the lid ,but under the lid at the rear of the opening will be the manufactures model and serial number on a silver tag.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok, found it. It's a Whirlpool LSB6000PQ0. I've also added a couple of pictures. One shows the white water staining on the inside of the backplane, to give you an idea where the water has been (top and back to botton and back). Interestingly, there's no staining or buildup anywhere else; not on the outside of the tub, not on the pump, not on the drain hose or fittings. The other picture just shows the rusty spring that is right at the bottom rear of the unit, where again the water has been on it. And I did test the water inlet hose between valve and tub, and it's not leaking. And there are no stains right under the inlet valve either.
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 13 days ago.

Thank you ,

This is a common issue on this design of washer . the water is coming from the water inlet nozzle that mounts to the rear wall panel .

And it is happening during a spin mode when the washer brings in power spray to rinse the fabric softener out one last time .

The tub assembly it is vibrating and possibly leaning to the front of the washer , and when the power spray happens some water goes into the tub ,some goes down the rear of the outer tub and down on to the floor.

You may just need to grab the back of the console with the cabinet back on and fastened down ,, when you tilt the rear of the washer forward this will raise the rear leveling legs off the floor and then set it back down that will make the self leveling legs level the washer.

Or it could be the rear vertical counter balance spring has been stretched out and this causes the washer tub to lean forward a bit .

(you show the counter balance spring in your second photo IMAGO720)

if you need to replace the counter balance spring .

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Suspension-Spring/WPW10250667/1549326?rcaid=1000070

If you have any questions just reply back to me.