Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I am working on a Whirlpool gas dryer. On initial startup

Customer Question

I am working on a Whirlpool gas dryer. On initial startup the ignitor glows, gas lights and all is well, but it will go out prematurely. It will not relight until is has completely cooled down. Ignitor wont even glow on second attempt???
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Mod#LGR4634Q0 manufactured in 2000
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that i can think of
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 16 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 16 days ago.

First, make sure your vent is cleaned and the best way to do that is just run a cycle without the vent hose connected to the back of the dryer to see if things change. If your dryer still won't dry properly, then this is a pretty common issue unfortunately and it means that your gas coils are starting to fatigue and need to be ordered and replaced. As the coils heat up, the unit stops opening the valve or can't hold it open as long as intended because it gets weak after it lights the first time. You just need to order and replace the 2 black cylinder gas coils located directly in front of the igniter. Below is a link to the part you'll need to order and replace.

CLICK HERE for gas coils

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The gas valves and igniter have been replaced. No change. Lights initially, goes out and will not glow on second attempt.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 16 days ago.

If you're certain the igniter won't glow a second time, then you have a bad thermostat that isn't resetting. You'll need to test voltage between the 2 posts where the wires connect on each thermostat when the dryer is running and not heating but it should be heating. Most likely your cycling thermostat is the faulty one, but you need to test voltage to be sure which thermostat is bad. Whatever thermostat you have 110 volts across from one terminal to the other, is the one you need to replace.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thermostats are testing good when running and not heating. The length of time it will heat on startup seems to be getting shorter each time. This last time it was only lit for about 30 seconds.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 16 days ago.

What you're saying is not possible. I think it's time you call a technician out there because either one of the thermostats is bad or your coils are bad.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
That certainly wasn't worth the money Doc!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 16 days ago.

You can go over the tests again that I gave you before, but you're over looking something that I told you to check or you're not understanding the tests I said to do because those are the only things that will cause your problem and if you say all of them check good the unit would be working.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 15 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?