John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Have a brand new Whirlpool washer and error code E01 and F09

Customer Question

have a brand new Whirlpool washer and error code E01 and F09 keep appearing on the display. I am using HE detergent. And this happened just the other day and my husband checked the drain hose and it appeared to be okay. I shut the washer off and door finally unlocked. I have pulled some of the wet clothes out and they are very wet. I left 1/3 of the wash in the washer and have started it back up again on the drain and spin cycle. Why does it keep doing this?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model? Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Less than 3 months old.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not sure of the model. Care Guide refers to Models WFW95HE and WFW87HE.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 21 days ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

The model number is ***** the lid at the rear of the opening on top loaders .If you open the washer lid ,

under the lid NOT on the lid ,but under the lid at the rear of the opening will be the manufactures model and serial number on a silver tag.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Model # WFW87HEDW1

Thank you !

The error code of F9-E1 is LONG DRAIN

If the drain time exceeds 8 minutes without reaching reset level in pressure sensor, the valves are turned off and the drain pump will stop running. NOTE: Suds can cause delays in draining. Washer drains for 4 minutes, pauses 5 minutes, then tries again for 4 additional minutes of draining. F9E1 will display if washer does not drain. (Normal drain takes less than 2 minutes)

Possible Causes

• Verify that the drain hose is not blocked or kinked.

• Make sure drain hose is not sealed into drain pipe.

• Make sure the drain hose height does not exceed 96" (2.4 m).

• Check/clean drain pump filter of foreign objects.

• Check connections from tub to air trap, air trap to pressure hose, and pressure hose to pressure sensor.

Is pressure hose pinched, kinked, plugged, or leaking air?

And have you ever used a washing machine cleaner in the unit before?

and does the unit when draining seem to drain the water out with in the 2 minutes?