Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Just a day now, i have a Maytag med9800tq0 electric dryer

Customer Question

Hi pearl
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just a day now
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: i have a Maytag med9800tq0 electric dryer that won't start. The machine clicks when you press and hold start tested thermal fuse looks good door switch seems good as the interior lamp goes on and off when door is open and closed
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: MED9800TQ0
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Yes to doing work myself
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 24 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 24 days ago.

So there are a few things that can cause this issue. The first thing to check is your fuse. If you remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel, you can remove the lower front panel by pulling down and forward. Unplug the dryer and look behind the lint filter enclosure to the left. There is a little 1" thin flat white plastic device attached to the top of the blower wheel housing. You will need to order and replace this fuse to correct your problems if the fuse doesn't have continuity.

The other thing that can cause this issue is if the dryer thinks the belt is broken. So when you have the lower front panel off, do make sure the belt isn't laying on the ground broken. There is a switch next to the motor that is activated when the belt is taut. If by chance the belt is attached and the fuse happens to be good or when you replace it you still have an issue, you'll need to replace the main relay board mounted to the left side wall above the drum because it thinks that either the fuse is bad or the belt is broken. You can't test the control board, so if the fuse and the belt switch (mounted next to the motor under the tensioner pulley) are good---then you need to just replace the main control board due to process of elimination.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
The thermal fuse tests good as I stated earlier. The belt is not broken. Is there a way to test that switch or confirm I even have that switch on my dryer?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 24 days ago.

you can unplug the 2 wires going to the switch and tape them together to bypass the switch, but if that isn't the issue then the main control board needs to be replaced.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 23 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?